Our Amazing Mentors!
Without out amazing mentors and volunteers, Start The Cycle would not be possible! We always welcome new mentors to our summer program. All mentors must fill out an application and attend out Mentor Training in March.
Start The Cycle helps empower youth in our community to make positive life choices. Our goal is to help youth reach their maximum potential. The mentoring program uses adult mentor volunteers committed to supporting, guiding and being a friend to team members for at least the duration of the program.
By becoming part of the social network of adults and community members who care about the youth, we can help kids improve their personal, social and academic skills.
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Be interested in working with young people
- Own the necessary equipment to participate in the program *bike, helmet etc.
- Be physically able to participate.
- Be willing to attend training and follow procedures and policies.
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting the time commitments.
- Be willing to communicate with the program volunteers, submit activity information and take constructive feedback regarding mentor duties.
- Pass a criminal background check
- No use of illicit drugs
- No use of alcohol or controlled substances in an inappropriate manner
- Serve as a positive role model and friend
- Take the lead in supporting youth through one on one and group relationships
- Build trust by committing to weekly rides and program activities
- Ensure personal and emotional safety
- Teach biking and bike maintenance skills
- Willing listener, encouraging and supportive, patient and flexible before, during and after riding with youth.
- Tolerant and accepting of individual differences
Benefits of being a Mentor:
- Personal fulfillment through contribution to the community and individuals
- Satisfaction in helping someone mature
- Training sessions and group activities
- Personal ongoing support, supervision to help create a successful mentorship
- Mentor/Mentee group activities
- Experience a sense of pride while riding in the Ore To Shore Mountain Bike Epic in August as a race ambassador with our team
- Help celebrate team accomplishment and recognize kids in our Community
- Feel your heart grow stronger from exercise and connection with other riders 🙂